The Institute of Distance Education of the Tomsk State University was established by a President’s order on July 3, 1998 with the goal to form an scientific-academic space of the Tomsk State University based on advanced telecommunications and information technologies and to implement educational programs using distance learning technologies.
Since 2005, the Institute has coordinated the activities of TSU units in the sphere of distance education.
7 employees of the Institute became the holders of award of the Tomsk Region in the field of education in 2000 and 2001 for their works in the sphere of distance education.
In 2002, the staff of 7 people headed by TSU President G.V. Mayer, were awarded the prize of the President of the Russian Federation in the field of education for the year 2001 for their work connected with creation of open education space and refinement of mechanisms of collaboration of universities in the open and distance education system, carried out at the Institute of Distance Education.
In 2013, five employees of TSU — Georgy Vladimirovich Mayer, Vladimir Petrovich Demkin, Ernst Rafailovich Shrager, Galina Vasilyevna Mozhaeva, Tatyana Vladimirovna Rudenko — as part of a research team of 9 people were awarded the RF Government Prize in the field of education for research and development project “Development of Methodological Basis for Innovative Forms of Network Interaction and Implementation Thereof In the Continuous Education System for Scientific and Professional Support of Social and Economic Development of Regions”.
Objectives of the Institute of Distance Education:
- concentration of efforts of all TSU units,
- coordination of their work aimed at distance learning development and implementation in educational process,
- formation of academic space of TSU on the base of advanced telecommunications and information technologies,
- implementation of educational programs using distance learning technologies.
The main activities of the Institute:
- electronic and distance learning,
- additional education for adults, specifically, by using distance learning technologies.
The Institute of Distance Education implements:
- professional development and retraining programs in the sphere of e-learning and additional education,
- upgrading of qualification and retraining of academic staff, employees of universities and research and development institutes, teachers of general education institutions, students and specialists,
- coordination of activities of TSU units in the sphere of e-learning, additional professional and distance education.