Distance Education at Tomsk State University
National Research Tomsk State University is the largest classical university in the Asian part of Russia. For over 135 years TSU has been training scientific and managerial elite, based on the integration of the academic process and fundamental scientific research. It is a well-known center of education, science, innovations, and creative talents, a generator of advanced ideas, and a paragon of adherence to the best traditions of Russian higher education.
TSU was among the first universities to begin working in cybernetics and then in the sphere of telecommunications and IT, providing priority to further development of these directions.
Tomsk State University is one of the Russian universities that have pioneered technologies for distance education.
The first international project based beyond the Urals in distance education was launched at Tomsk State University. In 1995 according to the agreement with California State University (US), TSU students and personnel had an opportunity to study at the American university using technologies for distance education. The experience gained served as a foundation of the TSU system of distance education.
Since 2015 IDE has welcomed learners in the distance Master’s programs in information technologies, philology and cross-cultural communication, social sciences and humanities, management of innovations, and others.
We offer distance educational programs aimed at schoolchildren, teachers, state institute staff, doctors, commercial organizations personnel, requiring further education in offered subject area – all those who wish to raise their level of education.
Our distance educational programs are based on the following principles:
- Multimedia presentation of training material;
- Distributed character of education;
- Direct participation of university lecturers in the educational process;
- Networking cooperation of educational institutions.
All types of educational activities in distance education programs are implemented via:
- pedagogical lecturer / tutor–learner communication in a class or using electronic means of communication;
- learner’s self-directed learning using educational materials.
The educational process involves up-to-date Internet technologies. As a result the learner acquires experience of:
- using basic services and tools of Web 2.0,
- organizing private professional workspace in the Internet,
- working in automated information data system,
- participating in professional network community activities, etc.
Distance education opens new opportunities:
- Flexibility (at a convenient time, in a convenient place, and with convenient work speed)
- Modularity (from independent educational course modules to an individual curriculum)
- Parallelism (in-service education)
- Coverage (synchronous use of many educational sources by many learners)
- Technological effectiveness (use of the latest information and telecommunication technologies in educational process)
- Social equality (equal educational opportunities independent from place of residence, health status, and financial means)
- Internationality (export and import of world achievements in the educational services market)
- Profitability (use of educational areas and technical means, concentrated and unified submission of educational information)
Additional education programs